In a company I used to work for, whenever we made changes in a design, no matter how small, we had to fill out a form that had a field titled effectivity which would outline which parts of the project were affected by those changes, so we could determine which tests would have to be repeated.

But I looked up effectivity in several online dictionaries (dictionary.com, oxforddictionaries.com, merriam-webster.com) and they all refer to effective with no additional connotations in line with how my former company was using it.

Is there a word or phrase meaning the areas affected by making a particular change?

  • 4
    For a nice short phrase, I'd probably go with "affected areas". :-)
    – Hellion
    Feb 1, 2017 at 17:37
  • 5
    Is there a problem with areas affected? Feb 1, 2017 at 17:38
  • oh. duh. Yeah, those are both good suggestions.
    – Jason S
    Feb 1, 2017 at 17:53
  • purview - the scope of the influence or concerns of something. google.com/…
    – Phil Sweet
    Aug 2, 2017 at 23:53

2 Answers 2


Area of effects would describe the areas of the project affected by the changes.

The only definition of the phrase I could find is from role playing games but it has similar meaning.

Area of effect (often referred to as AoE) refers to a specified area in which multiple enemies can be affected (source)

In your context I'd define it to as:

Area of effects (often referred to as AoE) refers to the specific areas of a project which can be affected.


I would use the phrase "concomitant effects". If you look up the phrase online, it finds use in technical fields.

I like it because it highlights the secondary nature of the effects so as to differentiate from the main change.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.