There are many words for "had sex", such as the F-word, "banged", "screwed" etc.

None of these are formal words, and I'm wondering if there is a single word for "had sex" that is more appropriate than the aforementioned?


I would probably go for "copulated".


to engage in sexual intercourse


  • Hello Peter. I edited your answer to include definition, source, and citation: things we consider very important for a good answer. – Cascabel Jan 26 '17 at 20:41

The least-salacious verb I can think of is mated:

Mate (verb, intransitive): to copulate
from m-w.com

  • 3
    Sounds a bit like a wildlife documentary, but it's a valid word. – Tim Jan 26 '17 at 21:38

Congressing, though it is perhaps less common:

  1. coitus; sexual intercourse. (from dictionary.com)

Merriam-Webster's online dictionary redirects automatically to coitus: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/congressing

  • 4
    I knew Congress was doing something. – Cascabel Jan 26 '17 at 21:37
  • 2
    +1 for coitus, but it's more often than not it's "have coitus" – Mari-Lou A Jan 26 '17 at 21:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.