Today is the 26th of January, it is Australia Day.

My question is about its nickname Down Under and derivatives.

Q. If you had to, what would you call the citizen of a country called “Down Under”?

What came to my mind were the following:

  • Downunderer (Down Underer)

  • Downunderian (Down Underian)

but I can't say which would sound more natural to a native English speaker.

(for non-Australians)

Q. How likely are you to use "Down Under" in your everyday speech? Would saying it mean you're joking, or just not serious, or maybe mocking the country?

closed as primarily opinion-based by choster, tchrist Jan 26 '17 at 15:46

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    You'd call him an "Aussie". – Hot Licks Jan 26 '17 at 14:06
  • (What do you call a citizen of the United States?) – Hot Licks Jan 26 '17 at 14:09
  • 1
    The proper 'alternate' suffix gives 'Downwegian'. – Mitch Jan 26 '17 at 14:44
  • 2
    I think requests for neologisms or naming advice are ill-suited to the StackExchange Q&A format, as the "right" answer largely comes down to a matter of opinion. You might try chat, however. – choster Jan 26 '17 at 15:08
  • 1
    @Pablo it's a jocular suggestion based on a nonworking analogy with Glasgow->Glaswegian, Tasmania->Taswegian – Mitch Jan 27 '17 at 13:12

If you want to coin and adjective from the expression "Down Under" -ian is probably the more common suffix you would use in this case:

  • a suffix with the same meaning and properties as -an; -ian, is now the more productive of the two suffixes in recent coinages, especially when the base noun ends in a consonant: Orwellian; Washingtonian.


Downunderian is not a common term but there are a few usages availabbe on the net. See for instance the site:

  • 1
    A large number of the search results are false hits returning 'down under Ian' – Spagirl Jan 26 '17 at 14:32
  • 1
    @Spagirl - yes, it is not a common term, but that is the suffix that you would probably use if you want to coin an adjective from Downunder. – user66974 Jan 26 '17 at 14:35
  • Note: a downuderian may well be quite a different beast from a Downunderian. I’m not sure what exactly, but unless Down Under has some rather unusual laws on dress code, the two are unlikely to consistently coincide. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jan 26 '17 at 14:55
  • 2
    I was making a joke on the typo, which entailed the former being a ‘dow-nuder-ian’. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jan 26 '17 at 15:00

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.