When you're born and given up for adoption, what do you call the person who gave birth to you? I do not like the phrase "Birthmom" or "Birthparent" or anything like that since the person who gave birth to me is not actually my mom. She didn't raise me, so I would like a shorter way of saying this or a certain word for this? Thank you in advance!

  • 4
    Well, the only other phrase that I know of is "birth mother". You can get a hair more clinical if donor eggs were involved, but that simply makes things more awkward.
    – Hot Licks
    Jan 26, 2017 at 1:50
  • biological mother (but that does not imply that she gave birth to you)
    – Drew
    Jan 26, 2017 at 2:32

2 Answers 2


As opposed to your adoptive parents, the people who actually gave you life in legal speak are called your biological parents (or sometimes your natural parents). So, to refer to your real mom, you would say my biological mother and to refer to your real dad, you would say my biological father.

  • 2
    I like the answer except for the "real". Adoptive parents (or any other type) as much real ac biological ones. Real parent is whoever the child feels like they are. Jan 28, 2017 at 11:32

If the OP wants to avoid using the most common and easily understood terms 1. biological mother and 2. birth mother, I suppose they could describe their parent, rather icily, as their

hominid host

2. of, relating to, or belonging to the Hominidae

  • Any of various primates of the family Hominidae, whose only living members are modern humans.

Source: Dictionary.com

  • 1
    I think terms like this may come across as not just cold but potentially offensive.
    – k1eran
    Jan 28, 2017 at 12:24
  • +1 because this term applies to either (1) the genetic mother (gm), whose egg was fertilized by the genetic father, and who carried the fetus and gave birth to the child or (2) a non-genetic mother who received the fertilized egg from the gm and then carried the fetus and gave birth to the child. (Sometimes called surrogate mother.) It does not cover the practice in The Vor science fiction series by Lois McMaster Bujold where a fertilized egg is put in a uterine replicator; the genetic parents are usually present at the decanting of the child, unless they are exceptionally squeamish.
    – ab2
    Jan 28, 2017 at 12:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.