When you measure in fractions of 100, you call it a percentage. When you measure in fractions of 1000, you call it promille or per mil. There are even words for fractions of 10000 or 100000.

But what do you call it when you measure in fractions of 1?

closed as not a real question by user2683, Kit Z. Fox, simchona, kiamlaluno, mgkrebbs Aug 7 '11 at 19:48

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    1/1 = 1, 2/1 = 2, 3/1 = 3... Where I'm from that's called counting. (^_^) – RegDwigнt Aug 6 '11 at 14:34
  • 3
    As @RegD says, your 'fractions of 1' are just plain old numbers. The body of this question doesn't fit the title. – z7sg Ѫ Aug 6 '11 at 16:05
  • @Jasper Loy You are right. I completely misunderstood the question. – kiamlaluno Aug 6 '11 at 17:05
  • 1
    The original title (What do you call the scale [0..1]?) was much much clearer. I do not want to start an edit war... but I would suggest reverting to the first revision. Clearly the OP refers to the fact that 10%=0.1, 35%=0.35 etc – nico Aug 6 '11 at 18:02
  • 1
    @Jasper: it means (well, I interpret it as) decimal numbers between 0 and 1. – nico Aug 7 '11 at 6:26

Answering here from the perspective of a physical scientist.

Such comparisons are often dimensionless (say change in length over initial length, which is length/length = 1), and when they are we often say "fractional".

As in "the strain is the fractional change in length", or "here we compare the factional signal loss between...".

  • 1
    Aren't percentages dimensionless as well? Still, thanks for the alternative! :) – wen Aug 7 '11 at 9:52
  • @Pepijn: Well, yes, but the are 1/100 (that is one per one hundred or "pre cent"), and as used by physicists "fraction" is taken to be normalized (to use prash's good suggestion). – dmckee Aug 7 '11 at 23:19

If you rewrite a percentage in the interval [0;1] then you get a proportion or simply a decimal number.

This, always keeping in mind that, for instance 0.1 = 10% = 100‰ = 1000‱

  • I feel that decimal number strongly implies (as it does) that you can go below 0.0 and beyond 1.0. However, proportion seems a decent alternative. – wen Aug 7 '11 at 9:57
  • @Pepijn: well, technically you can go beyond 1 (e.g. 200%=2) and below 0 (-50% = -0.5). – nico Aug 7 '11 at 16:50

Depending on context, you can even use the word normalized. In fields that use statistical techniques, we use factors that change an arbitrary number into one that has the range [0,1]. Such factors are usually called normalization factors or normalizing constants.

They speak about it on the stats StackExchange site -- read the comments and note the tag used.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.