You know how right before going "Awwwww!" People breathe in? What exactly is that called? And if there's no specific word for it, how do I describe it?

Example: (This guy 's obsessed with this couple btw) I silently kiss Davin on the cheek, making him turn bright red.

Tj ____. "Aww! You two are so perfect!"

  • 5
    A recent coinage that might work for you is squee. Mainstream dictionaries mostly link this to a squealing sound but it's often used figuratively for the feeling inspired when something is so cute and/or so romantic.
    – 1006a
    Jan 24, 2017 at 22:31
  • 4
    @WS2 It designates events which make half the perceivers squee and the other half facepalm. Jan 24, 2017 at 22:36
  • 1
    Anime watchers (and Japanese speakers) will probably recognize "kawaii" ( 可愛い ). It is the romanized spelling of the Japanese word for "cute", but a little broader. Anime characters exclaim it with great frequency.
    – RichF
    Jan 24, 2017 at 22:55
  • 2
    'cooing' might be close to what you are after
    – Tom22
    Jan 24, 2017 at 23:08
  • 2
    @WS2 It's a very common word that's been in the English language for a long time. Feel free to use any dictionary to look it up!
    – user428517
    Jan 24, 2017 at 23:53

2 Answers 2


The short intake of breath is called a gasp. In that sentence, TJ gasped, "Aww! You two are so perfect!"

You could also say TJ was fawning over the cute couple.


Though Cameron's suggestion of fawning is particularly good, this action could also be described as gushing:

to make an effusive display of affection or enthusiasm

"Aww! You two are so perfect!" Tj gushed.


  • 1
    This technically fits the blank, but doesn't address the actual question. Jan 25, 2017 at 6:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.