Is there a conventional term (regardless of its level of formality) referring to the area which is (currently) affected by and/or endangered by a wildfire? — a roughly analogous term in the case of a tornado would be the areas in the path of the tornado.

I don't know of a more concise term for this, either, but this seems to be a fairly fixed expression.

  • Footprint, perhaps? I don't know if there's a technical term. – Mick Jan 24 '17 at 10:09

Fire perimeter is the expression generally used to refer to the area affected by a fire:

  • Wildfire perimeters for the current fire season, including both active and inactive fires, supplied from various sources. The data is refreshed from operational systems nightly. These perimeters are rolled over to Historical Fire Polygons on April 1 of each year.


enter image description here From (akfireinfo.files.wordpress.com)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.