I'm seeking a word that best describes the point of land created by the confluence of two rivers. The parcel of land in question would be situated in between the two rivers as their flow combined to form one river. Is there such a name?

This is not a duplicate of the question asking about the word confluence. This question refers to the point of land created by the confluence.

  • 7
    It's just "point". – John Feltz Jan 16 '17 at 19:39
  • I found this useful site with terminology for land around bodies of water. Maybe you can find what you need there and then if you have any further questions, include that information in your question. macmillandictionary.com/us/thesaurus-category/american/… – Kristina Lopez Jan 16 '17 at 19:39
  • 5
    I looked at that question @Josh - it doesn't specify the land where two rivers meet so it's not a suitable duplicate, IMO. – Kristina Lopez Jan 16 '17 at 19:40
  • Maybe Earth Science will have the best answers for this. – NVZ Jan 16 '17 at 19:42
  • 1
    @Josh I've looked at that question and I also don't think its is a duplicate of this one. – k1eran Jan 16 '17 at 23:19

The land mass formed by a confluence can also be called a point. A beautiful example is in Pittsburgh, PA. This land mass is formed by the joining of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers to create the Ohio River, hence it's name, "The Pointe", which is the French word for point. The Pointe, Pointe State Park, and the original foundation of Fort Pitt are located on the epicenter of this point.


Although not exactly a single word, however, according to Wikipedia, the phrase river delta can be used to describe the land formation which forms at the point where two rivers meet.

From Wikipedia:

A river delta is a landform that forms from deposition of sediment carried by a river as the flow leaves its mouth and enters slower-moving or standing water. This occurs where a river enters an ocean, sea, estuary, lake, reservoir, or (more rarely) another river that cannot transport away the supplied sediment.

  • A confluence can create a delta, but that doesn't mean that delta is a general term for a confluence. – Acccumulation Nov 9 '20 at 5:55

Perhaps its could be termed a peninsula?

A piece of land almost surrounded by water or projecting out into a body of water. — Oxford Dictionaries

Wikipedia mentions peninsula used for the land where a river which courses through a very tight meander which seems similar to OP's requirement. Assuming here the term can be used regardless for the surrounding waters' direction of flow.

A peninsula (Latin: paeninsula from paene "almost" and insula "island") is a piece of land extending out into a body of water that is still connected to mainland, or a piece of land that is bordered by water on three sides but connected to mainland. [...] The surrounding water is usually understood to be continuous, though not necessarily named as a single body of water. Peninsulas are not always named as such; one can also be a headland, cape, island promontory, bill, point, or spit. [...] A river which courses through a very tight meander is also sometimes said to form a "peninsula" within the (almost closed) loop of water.


MESOPOTAMIA means 'land between two rivers'; DOAB in Hindi means 'tongue'; TONGUE (according to OED) means: III. Anything that resembles or suggests the human or animal tongue by its shape ... 13. A tongue-like projecting piece of anything ... a. A narrow strip of land, running into the sea, or between two branches of a river, or two other lands ... (attestations between 1566 and 1857, so Middle-English usage). So, "tongue" is your best bet.

  • Are you really suggesting "Mesopotamia" for general use with all river intersections? "We're meeting for a picnic down on the Mesopotamia"? – nnnnnn Dec 1 '19 at 1:26
  • No. That was a comment on the placeholder's note and use of the words "angled mesopotamian tongue" in which he uses the three most often used words for this piece of land (when confluence isn't used). I had also been looking for a substitute word, and didn't find any better than tongue, or angle. (Both, by the way, used by J.R.R. Tolkien for various places at the confluence of rivers.) – DeLynne Dec 2 '19 at 18:28
  • Tolkien also uses the word "gore" but that is now a term used almost exclusively (in this meaning) in dress-making. There are other meanings of this word (think bull-fighting) that also give it negative connotations. – DeLynne Dec 2 '19 at 19:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.