I'd like to find a single word for a very gentle touch.

Example usage:

"As he __________ (gently touched) the petals, ..."

(may not be the best example, but I believe it brings across the point)

  • 2
    The verb brush can have a meaning similar to what you seem to be looking for. Here is the relevant Merriam-Webster definition: "brush vt ... 3 : to pass lightly over or across : touch gently against in passing."
    – Sven Yargs
    Jan 15, 2017 at 8:57
  • @SvenYargs Agreed! That works too
    – AleksandrH
    Jan 15, 2017 at 13:27

1 Answer 1


I believe the word you're looking for is caress: to touch or stroke lightly in a loving or endearing manner

"As he caressed the petals, ..."

A similar option is stroke: to rub gently in one direction

"As he stroked the petals, ..."


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.