Sorry for slaying the English in the title but I don't know how to be more explanatory.

For example John starts working with Microsoft as a programmer, and the company gives him a computer which is still company's property, but for the usage of John. What is that action called? Issuing? Commisioning? Deploying?

What would be the name of a document which records that action?

  • 2
    a 'Provisioning Ledger' could work. 'Provisioning' sounds like something you'd do in the military though and 'ledger' sounds really bureaucratic. "Equipment Log" or "Employee Equipment Log" might sound more friendly. "each employee gets equipped with a company computer ?"
    – Tom22
    Jan 14, 2017 at 1:09
  • 1
    Hmm, "Provisioning Ledger" seems close. It should sound bureaucratic, as it will be used in a governmental resource management software. It is a document that lists items under the use of a specific employee. Jan 14, 2017 at 1:43
  • 1
    We call the process 'onboarding' at our company. Not sure what the document would be called though. Jan 14, 2017 at 1:52

1 Answer 1


Issued sounds right. Assigned is another good possibility.

I would call the document that records the action a property record. Many organizations keep track of computers and other assets issued to employees by assigning property numbers to such assets and by maintaining property records in property databases. Local organizational property custodians (or equivalent) reconcile such inventories on some required basis, e.g., annually. The individuals to whom property is issued or assigned are responsible for the property issued or assigned to them. It's all in the property records.

  • In our company, we can it an "asset register"
    – Monzoor
    Jan 14, 2017 at 4:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.