You can find it in all spreadsheet applications like Microsoft Excel, LibreOffice Calc or Google Docs. In the Help pages of the latter, it is described as:

a small blue box in the lower right corner [of the cell]

small blue box in the lower right corner

Is there any name given to that widget? How do people normally refer to it when talking to other people? For example:

– How do I copy this formula to other cells in the column?

– Just click and drag this [insert name here] downwards.

  • I'm not sure that this is standard English rather than technobabble. Commented Jan 11, 2017 at 22:59

1 Answer 1


Microsoft calls it the Fill Handle, as seen here.

enter image description here

  • 1
    Confirmed too in this video by the guy that ran the Excel team before starting this website :) Commented Jan 11, 2017 at 22:17
  • In casual speaking among Excel users it's also likely to just be referred to as "the handle" Commented Jan 12, 2017 at 19:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.