Sometime back, I read somewhere that if you want to cover an event, the event organizer may ask to see a 'sheet something'. I don't remember what this terminology or the phrase is.

The phrase basically denotes that you will print copies of your online work, put them in a bundle and show it to the organizer. If the organizer is satisfied with the content of your work, they may choose to give you a press pass for the event.

I'm looking to know/remember the term/phrase. It comes from olden times when a journalist used to cut articles out of a newspaper and keep them in a bundle in case if he needs to show his writing skills to an editor or somebody.

Does anybody know what this terminonolgy or phrase might be?

  • 3
    The term you're looking for is tearsheet, literally a sheet (page) torn out of a newspaper; the big ones were called broadsheets. Aside from that, you should know that definitions are off-topic for us but might be accepatble on English SE. – Lauren Ipsum Jan 10 '17 at 19:55
  • could you turn it into an answer please. Thank you. – shirish Jan 10 '17 at 19:56
  • Tearsheet is not right. I was a journalist for a while and still have my clippings. I don't have any tearsheets. – Lambie Jan 14 '17 at 20:50

The term you're looking for is tearsheet, literally a sheet (page) torn out of a newspaper; the big ones like the New York Times were called broadsheets.

  • No, this is not right. Journalists keep clips or clippings of their work. – Lambie Jan 14 '17 at 17:17


Whether you're a working reporter looking for greener pastures or a college journalist hoping for that first job, your work will always be your best resumé.

In the newspaper world, your body of work is known as your "clips," short for "clippings."

(noun) 1.1 An article cut from a newspaper or magazine
"Posters, newspaper clippings, and magazine interviews littered his walls."


A young reporter interested in exploring new opportunities posed these questions about the process the other day: How many clips — and what kind — should I send?

An old article but still right.

Here's another one:


Add your best clippings, customize your page and then share your work with the world - without a single line of code. Thousands of journalists and writers trust us with their work, and building your website takes just minutes.

  • Like Lambie, I was a journalist for a while. I worked with one of the last hot-metal houses and some of the first full-colour presses used in Britain. I’ve never heard ’tearsheet’ closely enough associated with any press function that I even bothered to ask myself what it meant, let alone anyone else. Clearly ‘tearsheet’ and ‘broadsheet’ share a root. I don’t think ‘broadsheet’ much more likely as a source than ‘tabloid’. How did ‘on-line’ sneak in? Wouldn’t that stoke a ‘file’ or ‘portfolio’? Check instead en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_sheet where content matters not… – Robbie Goodwin Jan 24 '17 at 22:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.