If 'horizontal' follows the horizon, and 'vertical' ascends from the horizon, is there a word for a line from the viewer to the horizon? Otherwise, is there a broadly accepted business term for describing data where there are two horizontals, but one is an iterative representation of the first?

Specifically, this word would be used in a business sense to represent a second horizontal of accompanying data that would be something of a Y axis to an X axis. (This is not immediately for purposes of verbal presentation.) Is there a specific term that describes this relation in a business context? I want a word that won't alienate listeners unfamiliar with unrelated fields of study.

While 'longitudinal' is helpful in describing spatial relations, this does not differentiate itself from 'horizontal', which is a common term used in business to describe a broad area, as opposed to a 'vertical' describing a focused area of specialization.

Alternatively, is there a business construct that addresses horizontality, verticality, and adds the ability to describe depth that can be utilized instead that relies on these concepts?

  • 4
    If you're talking art and illustration, that's a perspective line. If you're talking data presentation with 3 axes, then that's X, Y, and Z, and there are a couple different ways of portraying that on 2-dimensional paper. – John Feltz Jan 10 '17 at 21:45
  • 2
    AFAIK, the concepts of horizontal and vertical go out the window once you go beyond two dimensions. You are better off describing your business data in different terminology, perhaps use "axis/axes" and give each axis a descriptive name. – cobaltduck Jan 10 '17 at 21:45
  • 1
    I see. If you'd already seen that question and didn't find it helpful, it would have been useful to link to it in your question and explain why you think your question will have a different answer. – herisson Jan 10 '17 at 21:58
  • 1
    "This business plan shows how our product line will extend over two horizontal market segmentations (X and Y)" – John Feltz Jan 10 '17 at 22:10
  • 2
    We are essentially talking here about height (vertical), width (horizontal) and depth (?) aren't we? The best thing I can think of is penetration. Or should it be penetrative? The vertical axis, the horizontal axis, and the penetrative axis. How about that, if it's not too Freudian? – WS2 Jan 11 '17 at 0:21

This graph is called a 3D bar graph:


There are a number of terms you can use to verbally navigate one of these. Generically, you can say the 7th column in the third row has a height of almost 200.

It would be even clearer to have labels on the graph. Then, it would be clear what you mean when you say "7th graders in school three read almost 200 books".

| improve this answer | |
  • This is not immediately for purposes of verbal presentation. Do you have a specific term that describes this relation in a business context? – mfg Jan 10 '17 at 23:17
  • @mfg, in a business context, these are 'tiers' or 'ranks', that is, "second tier sales" or "second rank business line", "third rank ...", etc. The difference between 'tier' and 'rank' will be that 'tier' has a sense of systematic increase or decrease in 'verticality', while 'rank' has no such implication. – JEL Jan 11 '17 at 7:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.