How to correctly name this in English (in an official documentation for an IT system or in an instruction for filling up some form):

enter image description here

Should I name this:

  • a checkbox,
  • a check box,
  • a tickbox,
  • a tick box,
  • other name.

According to Wikipedia, all four options are good. But checkbox (as one or two words) is used much more often, according to Google Ngram, and (being a software engineer myself) the term I hear/see the most. As an HTML input element, it's also called a checkbox.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.