There are some people who have distinct voices when they sing, currently when I Google it there are only phrases like "... with two voices ..." Is there a word for a person who have that ability?

Edit: Thank you Katherine Lockwood, that was something new and interesting for me actually, but currently the word I'm looking for is the counter-tenor.

  • 1
    Typically, men and women have different vocal ranges. You might want to google that.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jan 10, 2017 at 1:28
  • 2
    Are you asking about people singing with two voices at the same time, or are you talking about people who can do different singing voices at different times, or who have a singing voice that is very different from their speaking voice?
    – herisson
    Commented Jan 10, 2017 at 2:00
  • 2
    Are you referring to 'falsetto'?
    – Mitch
    Commented Jan 10, 2017 at 2:54

4 Answers 4


To be more precise with regard to the OP, a male opera singer who sings in a faux-female voice is termed a countertenor.

"A countertenor is a type of classical male singing voice whose vocal range is that of the female contralto or mezzo-soprano...Countertenors are often [male] baritones or tenors at core, but rarely use this vocal range in performance". (Wikipedia)

  • 2
    We should also mention a falsetto voice which does not form part of mainstream opera but exists for those who wish to adopt such a voice in conversation or as a way of singing, etc. Commented Jan 10, 2017 at 2:10

You may be thinking of a specialized kind of singing in which a singer shapes his/her vocal tract to amplify overtones or harmonics (Merriam-Webster) of the fundamental frequency (Georgia State University Physics & Astronomy). This type of singing is often called "throat singing" or "overtone singing." The resulting sound is a lower pitched "drone" that does not change much, along with higher-pitched sounds that are manipulated to make tunes.

Encyclopedia Brittanica Online has a general overview of Throat Singing. There are various styles of overtone singing. Alex Glenfield's YouTube video demonstrates seven of them but does not describe them in terms of how they are produced. Anna-Maria Hefele has a video that includes some spectrograms and explanations. There are many other videos on YouTube of various people--men and women--doing harmonic/overtone/throat singing.

As for your phrase-request, I would say the phrase in English would be "throat singer."

I could be way off base here--you may be looking for something as simple as a man who can use a falsetto voice--but it seems from your phrase "two voices" that you are looking for throat-singing.


You might be referring to two registers of a singer's voice, such as their usual voice and their falsetto voice.


I heard of a term called “ Ryouseirui” before. It is a Japanese term to describe people who are able to sing in both typically male and female ranges. It appears in English usage.

Urban Dictionary

Ryouseirui (両声類) literally translates to "both vocal species", and is a Japanese term to describe people who are able to sing two genders (a high voice and a low voice). An English term of somewhat similar meaning is "androgynous."

The word androgynous is more general and is not only applied to singing.


If you describe someone as androgynous, you mean that they are not distinctly masculine or feminine in appearance or in behaviour.

  • This doesn't look like an English word. Commented Feb 16, 2022 at 6:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.