In computing, "an act of pressing a button on a mouse or similar device is called" : click.

Does the action of pressing or touching the screen with the finger has a special name?

  • 3
    One taps on a screen. – Jim Jan 6 '17 at 22:03
  • 1
    Related: Click or tap and similar question on User Experience: 1 | 2 – Andrew Leach Jan 6 '17 at 22:05
  • 2
    If you are looking for a technical term, then you are better off asking on a technical Stack. The general public may tap, touch, push, press, and any number of other things. – choster Jan 6 '17 at 22:23

When using your finger on a touchscreen, this is usually called a tap.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Except when you keep doing it it becomes a smudge. – Hot Licks Jan 6 '17 at 22:39
  • 1
    A click is a tap, a double-click is a double-tap, a click and hold is (I usually hear) a tap-and-a-half (that is, tap once, and hold the second time tapping instead of lifting again). – Megha Jan 7 '17 at 3:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.