Someone is very upset and making a scene. You have no sympathy. You think the whole situation is very entertaining. The sense of schadenfreude and shock at the improper outburst is strong enough that you can't help but make a face, but you are able to remain silent and you do so in order to remain as discreet as possible. You don't necessarily make eye contact with anyone else.

In the following picture, the girl on the right demonstrates this kind of reaction. The girl on the left might not be truly upset, but the depiction is close enough.

Is there a good word for this?


  • Amused? Nonplussed? Commented Jan 6, 2017 at 18:55
  • 2
    Can't do one single word... "OMG, I can't believe she's doing that!"
    – Arkadiy
    Commented Jan 6, 2017 at 23:16

4 Answers 4


The word "bemused" may fit this context well.

As per Merriam Webster dictionary, the definition of this word is - to cause to have feelings of wry or tolerant amusement


A word I learned here at EL&U is...


so shocked you cannot speak

coming from the slang word "gob" for "mouth"

It is informal, but a great word.

  • ...but I am still looking for that elusive word for "stunned amusement". Commented Jan 6, 2017 at 19:19


  1. catch one's breath with an open mouth, owing to pain or astonishment.
    "a woman gasped in horror at the sight of him"

Google Images shows some examples.

  • Close, but you'll notice none of those pictures depict amusement or a sense of humor. Commented Jan 6, 2017 at 19:06
  • @MackTuesday Ah, I noticed that now.
    – NVZ
    Commented Jan 6, 2017 at 19:08

You could consider


Defined in The Free Dictionary as:

Adj. 1. flabbergasted - as if struck dumb with astonishment and surprise; "the flabbergasted aldermen were speechless”

  • Although I think a mother would be more likely to be flabbergasted than a sister would.
    – Jim
    Commented Jan 6, 2017 at 22:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.