I'm looking for a term or idiomatic expression or phrase that describes a situation wherein junior employees get paid more than their senior colleagues.

  • If employee age is involved, and not just seniority of employment,, then ageism.
    – Drew
    Jan 5, 2017 at 16:02

1 Answer 1


This is called pay or salary inversion (see Wikipedia in link; sometimes also called inverted pay or an inverted pay scale). It typically happens when it costs more to hire someone new than what existing employees are being paid, though it could potentially also occur if someone junior is given a large raise for some reason. You can find articles about it on the web, like this one from MBA Skool.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.