What is someone who does fraud called?

  • I tried to look in the dictionary with words like 'frauder' and similar things but did get any results.

  • I tried google with searches like 'What is someone that does fraud called' or just 'fraud', but I only found articles on identity fraud.

closed as off-topic by BladorthinTheGrey, jimm101, curiousdannii, Rory Alsop, k1eran Jan 8 '17 at 16:33

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 2
    Dear @Monzoor, First off all the answer to this question was not quite obvious unless you are a native English speaker. I tried to look it up in the dictionery with words like 'frauder' and similar things but did get any results. I searched google with questions like 'What is someone that does fraud called' and did not find the result. Do not rush to JUDGE people! – Mori Jan 5 '17 at 12:52
  • 1
    This should help in future searches: Google "person who * fraud" – NVZ Jan 5 '17 at 15:01
  • 1
    @JanusBahsJacquet - If you see a word, that you don't know what it means, when you're looking for a word that has the same root, I'd suggest looking up the word you found in a dictionary! – AndyT Jan 5 '17 at 16:08
  • 1
    I have reopened this question, since the original poster had trouble finding the answer with obvious Google searches. FWIW, I find all the suggestions of how the poster could have found the answer with carefully constructed use of Google to be exactly besides the point. – nohat Jan 5 '17 at 17:16
  • 2
    FWIW, one doesn't "do" fraud—one "commits" fraud. – nohat Jan 5 '17 at 17:19

chiefly British
a person who engages in fraud

Note that while several dictionaries tag this as "chiefly British", the Wikipedia article about the American financier Bernard Madoff does call him a fraudster.

There's also a swindler:

to obtain money or property by fraud or deceit

  • 4
    My day job is working in fraud detection and prevention and I can confirm we call our quarry "fraudsters" – nohat Jan 5 '17 at 7:25
  • 1
    I see this term in American English a lot too, so the "chiefly British" shoujld indeed be taken with a grain of salt. Also simply "a fraud", though I suppose the connotation is slightly different (a person whose identity is fraudulent, rather than who merely engages in some sort of fraud, perhaps?) – tripleee Jan 5 '17 at 7:26
  • @tripleee A fraud is not necessarily someone who commits fraud strictu sensu (“deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage”); it can just be someone who gives the impression (implicit or explicit) that they are more than what they really are. It's someone who “makes deceitful pretenses; a sham; a poseur”. (ODO) – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jan 5 '17 at 7:39
  • @JanusBahsJacquet Yeah, thanks, that's what I was getting at. – tripleee Jan 5 '17 at 7:40
  • 1
    I'd also add "scammer" to this list, again with slightly different connotations. – tripleee Jan 5 '17 at 7:41


My understanding is that fraud is a definition of a criminal behavior/method/act. A person can -commit- fraud, but if they use fraud against someone, they are 'defrauding' someone.

You don't 'fraud' someone, you 'defraud' them.

However, if people in the field commonly use the term "fraudster" it is easier on the tongue than the standard noun construction "defrauder" (my opinion would be to go with the other answer lol)

merriam-webster's definition of defraud

Definition of defraud

transitive verb

: to deprive of something by deception or fraud

defrauder \di-ˈfrȯ-dər\ noun


Another British term is confidence trickster which is similar to con artist or con man which are more universal.

These terms are, however, slightly more specific than fraudster since they imply that the perpetrator has persuaded the victim to trust them through some form of personal contact whereas a fraudster may have exploited a weakness in a system (usually, but not exclusively, an IT system)

Another American term is grifter which is similar to fraudster but usually refers only to small-scale fraud.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.