In portuguese there is the word:


which is used for people who are wearing clothes for cold seasons.

I would like to know if there is an equivalent word.

"Clothed" seemed to be right, although not sure about meaning it is wearing cold clothes or just opposite of naked.

  • 3
    Around here we say "bundled up". As yes, "clothed" means "wearing clothes", i.e. not naked.
    – Dan Bron
    Jan 4, 2017 at 13:12
  • Is there an adjective instead of a phrasal verb for this?
    – Adriano
    Jan 4, 2017 at 13:17
  • Can't think of one off the top of my head. But I'll noodle on it and if I come up with something, I'll post an answer.
    – Dan Bron
    Jan 4, 2017 at 13:18
  • Sounds like weather for my "long johns", undergarments for the lower torso and my legs. In the alternative, time to don my thermal underwear. Ah, the joys of being a geriatric. Jan 4, 2017 at 13:20
  • 'Cold clothes' would be clothes which are cold, rather than clothes suitable for cold weather.
    – Spagirl
    Jan 4, 2017 at 14:18

1 Answer 1


There are many expressions for this. In the UK, we often use the phrase wrap (sb) up:

wrap (sb) up — phrasal verb with wrap

to dress in warm clothes, or to dress someone in warm clothes:

  • Wrap up well - it's cold outside.

Cambridge Dictionary

You can also use:

  • Make sure that you are wrapped up well.
  • Make sure that you are well wrapped up.
  • Stand still while I wrap you up properly.

Needless to say, it is children who are usually "wrapped up". Husbands come a poor second. Wives have to do it themselves.

  • Am I able to say "She is well wrapped up."? (adjective)
    – Adriano
    Jan 4, 2017 at 13:21
  • 1
    Of course. I'll add some more examples.
    – Mick
    Jan 4, 2017 at 13:22
  • A Scots (both Scottish and Ulster Scots) variant of this is 'happed up' en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/hap
    – Spagirl
    Jan 4, 2017 at 14:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.