I'm looking for an adjective to describe someone who has published academic papers under his name. Example usage:

"I'd like to work alongside the ________ Dr. Bob"

I was thinking something like "published" (the published Dr. Bob) but I couldn't find confirmation. Any thoughts? Thanks.


I am not sure if there's an adjective to prefix before someone's name to denote that they are a published author. With a slight twist to your example sentence, you can use published in its adjective form to convey this meaning.

"I'd like to work alongside Dr. Bob, a published author"


publish VERB

1.3 usually as adjective published
Prepare and issue the works of (a particular writer):
‘a published author’

| improve this answer | |
  • To make this answer more specific to those who have published academic papers, the phrase published scholar might be appropriate. – 1006a Jan 2 '17 at 6:56
  • 'Published (specialist)' would be the usual form, as 'published archaeologist/chemist/physicist/zoologist' 'Published author' normally refers to someone whose profession is writing for its own sake; the subject is not relevant. 'Published scholar' ought to work but personally I've never heard anything quite like it. 'Published academic' might be better. – Robbie Goodwin Jan 15 '17 at 23:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.