The closest I've found is objectual, but depending on the source, that may not be an actual word.

For example, if I were to refer to an author's use of symbolism via objects I would say something like:

The author is fond of ____ symbolism.

  • 1
    Can you give a sample sentence with a blank where the word should go? – Kristina Lopez Dec 28 '16 at 0:20
  • 1
    @KristinaLopez For example, if I were to refer to an author's use of symbolism via objects: "____ symbolism." – Aaron Dec 28 '16 at 0:23
  • If the objects are artifacts (objects made by man), you could use artifactual. – GoldenGremlin Dec 28 '16 at 0:47
  • With regard to your example, what about "actualised symbolism"? – user208726 Dec 28 '16 at 0:47
  • "Concrete" might do the trick here. – Qaz Jan 6 '17 at 5:08

Given that nouns can modify other nouns in so-called noun premodifier constructions, you might just go with object, as in

The author is fond of object symbolism.

Here are some examples where the phrase "object symbolism" is used:

This volume offers a number of new insights into the use of object symbolism

Romanticism and the Object, by L. Peer


A philosopher who has considered object symbolism in a particularly profound way is Gaston Bachelard

Symbolic Action Theory and Cultural Psychology, by Ernest E. Boesch

Further, here are some relatively common phrases in which the noun object modifies another noun:

  1. object recognition
  2. object knowledge
  3. object permanence
  4. object manipulation
  5. object work

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.