What do you call a word that is the result of merging two words together?

For example, Maroon + Tuna = Marona, or Crab + Apple = Crapple, or Choking + Holding = Chokehold

  1. The word I am looking for is not "nick name"
  2. The word I am looking for is not acronym e.g. Laser as "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation"

The word is portmanteau.

It originally (and still) means a large suitcase. In through the Looking Glass, Lewis Carroll introduced a second meaning:

a word or morpheme whose form and meaning are derived from a blending of two or more distinct forms (as smog from smoke and fog)

First appearance

In reference to the word mimsy, which is a portmanteau of miserable and flimsy,

"You see it's like a portmanteau—there are two meanings packed up into one word."

The word is "like a portmanteau" because one word carries multiple contents, like a suitcase, and because the word portmanteau itself, is a portmanteau.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.