enter image description here

What is the name of this symbol that I marked in red? What is it's Unicode value?

  • 3
    To the user who voted to close the question for lack of research. Are you off your head? Unless you know the actual name of the symbol how is anyone supposed to know where to look? The "experts" are the users replying not doing the asking. This is not something which you Google, or look up in a dictionary. – Mari-Lou A Dec 25 '16 at 11:29
  • 1
    @Mari-LouA Since the OP suspected that it might be a Unicode character, he could have done what I did: look in the relevant character map. – Mick Dec 25 '16 at 11:48
  • 2
    Well it took me ages to find it, without copying and pasting the symbol, there are also many different categories, and lists, maybe it's easy for someone who works in that field. Do we have any guarantee that Suragh is a programmer? Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I still say this answer cannot be Googled in a couple of minutes, unless you already know its name, or which Unicode category it pertains to. – Mari-Lou A Dec 25 '16 at 11:52
  • 4
    For future reference, there are tools that you can use to search the Unicode character set by character shape. Here is one such tool; it finds the "undertie" Mick mentions, as well as several other similar types of musical slurs, like Mari-Lou mentions. – Cody Gray Dec 25 '16 at 13:02
  • 1
    Also handy - ilg.usc.es/ipa-chart/keyboard – Phil Sweet Dec 25 '16 at 14:35

It is called an undertie:


The undertie is used to represent linking (absence of a break) in the IPA. For example it is used to indicate liaison (e.g. /vuz‿ave/).

On computers, the character used is U+203F ‿ UNDERTIE. This is a spacing character, not to be confused with the alternative (below-letter) form of the ligature tie (a͜b U+035C ͜ COMBINING DOUBLE BREVE BELOW), which is a combining character.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.