A typographical error (a.k.a. typo) is a mistake made in the typing process (typing "hlelo" instead of "hello").

Is there any word to designate a mistake made when writing a text through a speech recognition program?

The error may result from the imperfectness of the speech recognition engine, from the imperfectness of the speaker's pronunciation, or from a mixture of both.

I am aware of the question “Typo” for speech? but it focuses on the imperfectness of the speaker's pronunciation, and doesn't consider speech recognition.

  • 1
    I’ve just seen speech recognition error. No abbreviation.
    – Jim
    Commented Dec 20, 2016 at 3:53
  • 1
    Yeah, you also get "OCR errors", and that's the only term I've seen used for them.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Dec 20, 2016 at 4:08
  • @HotLicks thanks, I guess in the case of speech recognition, we'd say ASR error then (ASR = automatic speech recognition). Commented Dec 20, 2016 at 13:40
  • 1
    Or "glitch" maybe?
    – Nemo
    Commented Dec 30, 2016 at 12:15
  • "Transcription error," or the word was "mistranscribed," maybe? Commented Jan 4 at 7:07

2 Answers 2


Not quite what you're looking for, as I understand you want a word that implies that the speech recognition engine made a mistake, but the slang word speako might get the message across.

From Wikitionary:


speako ‎(plural speakos)

A mistake made when speaking, for example saying the wrong word accidentally.


I propose "dicto" for "dictographical error." Dictographical isn't a word, but dictograph definitely is.

"Dicto" can be retroactively applied to errors in dictation processes, even if a human was involved in transcribing the dictation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.