Single word request. Looking for a less silly version of "kit and caboodle". A word for a kit that includes everything you need for a certain task.

I did look in a thesaurus, under "kit". None of the synonyms seemed to necessarily imply completeness or comprehensiveness of the kit.

  • 1
    Vademecum is the classical term. Dec 17, 2016 at 19:03
  • @JohnLawler Vademecum apparently means "a handbook or guide that is kept constantly at hand for consultation". I'm looking more for a word that is appropriate for a kit of tools. Dec 17, 2016 at 20:23
  • 4
    @DepressedDaniel: That would be your toolkit if you want a single-word form. Dec 17, 2016 at 20:57
  • Complete or self-contained would be my thinking.
    – user3065
    Dec 18, 2016 at 9:17

2 Answers 2


I like toolkit but since it was already suggested (in comments), perhaps ... apparatus.

[mass noun] The technical equipment or machinery needed for a particular activity or purpose:
firemen wearing breathing apparatus’.


You may also say essentials (in the proper context; check the example below).


essential NOUN

(usually essentials)
1 A thing that is absolutely necessary:
‘we only had the bare essentials in the way of equipment’

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.