Looking up online, I realized there are quite a few different words for groups of birds. For pigeons, a group would be a flock or a flight, while for falcons you would have a cast of falcons.

But, what about nouns that give some information on the number of birds? Is there, for instance, a word signifying a small group of pigeons? Or just a small group of birds.

  • The only generalized terms I have heard used are flock and voley, only to describe a group of birds
    – Hank
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 21:02
  • Assuming your own search turned up no such specific word, you might want to use a word synonymous for "small group" or "few" to convey, in a singular word, the concept of a small group, then add "birds" or "pigeons". Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 21:02
  • Flock is used not only for birds but sheep and goats too.
    – haha
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 21:12
  • Obviously, a twitter of birds.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 21:42
  • Possible useful reference: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…
    – cobaltduck
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 21:43

3 Answers 3


The word I would use is covey. As the following citation shows, covey can be used as a word for a small group of birds: Oxford Living Dictionaries

a small flock of birds, especially partridge.

The same source gives many example sentences using coveys, meaning small flocks of birds, of which the following is one:

...both species form coveys, which are flocks of 4-6 fused family groups.

  • That only works for grouse, partridges, and quail.
    – Robusto
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 21:17
  • 1
    @Robusto -- I am new to SE -- and I still don't get anonymous downvotes. They do nothing constructive. Criticism works best with an explanation, imo.
    – WRX
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 21:38
  • 2
    @Mari-Lou A I think for the reason you gave is great! This why I think that the downvote should have been explained. Many of us are new here and we need to learn how to work within this community.
    – WRX
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 22:47
  • 1
    @Airymouse, not sure if I am supposed to answer you. Thanks, I knew my suggestions had nothing to do with birds. I was wondering if OP would consider a different word set. I will try to remain strictly on topic until I understand this SE better.
    – WRX
    Commented Dec 14, 2016 at 1:10
  • 1
    Not going to downvote because I think the answer is spot-on and can easily be brought up to the standards of the site, but I'll withhold my upvote until it's got a definition added in (preferably with a decent dictionary source link and usage example, but don't strain yourself!).
    – pyobum
    Commented Dec 14, 2016 at 1:10

Somewhat whimsically, you could use the names of various subdivision of a military air force. According to Wikipedia, for the U.S. Air Force, these subdivisions are:

  • Detail (2-4)
  • Element or Section (5-20)
  • Flight (20-100)
  • Squadron (100-300)
  • Group (300-1,000)
  • Wing (1,000–5000)
  • 2
    Flight is also used for birds, and not whimsically.
    – Robusto
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 21:17
  • 1
    You could, but ELU is about accepted usage rather than DIY and confusing terminology. Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 23:39
  • I found somewhere "flight" being used for groups of pigeons. I just didn't know how large a flight was Commented Dec 16, 2016 at 20:28

How about a smattering of pigeons or a sprinkle? These are synonyms of 'small number'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.