The very popular "etc" is variously used in different situations.
I have a couple of questions concerning this abbreviation:
- Do we need to place a full stop in the middle of a sentence after the "etc"?
- Is it correct that "etc" can mean only similar things?
- We have been to Ireland, Sweden, Poland, France, etc. (and other countries) where we've seen many amazing places!
- I have Pencils, Brushes, Books, CD-discs, etc. (not similar objects)
Edit: According to http://www.wikihow.com/Use-%22Etc.%22-Correctly
- In most cases I see a full stop after "etc" in the middle of a sentence but if it means "and the rest" or "and other things" then why should there be a full stop? Also, at the end of "etc", there should be a period. (This does not apply if you are using modern "open punctuation", which dispenses with periods for eg, ie etc). What does this mean?
- It's important that the items in the list are of the same kind so that "etc." does not confuse the reader.