I was wondering earlier, when trying to organise a poker game, what the name for a poker player or players is.

If you are in a race (cars, bikes, running etc), you can use "racers" or similar. In a boxing match you could use "Pugilist" or similar. (I'm not sure where pugilist stops being relevant, are you a pugilist in kick-boxing? katate? but that is outside the scope of my question).

There's always "contenders" or "competitors" or "players", but I was after something more specific, more directly related to poker, or at least card games.

  • 1
    Do you want a fancy term? The label for someone who boxes is 'boxer'. 'card player' or 'poker player' work just fine.
    – Mitch
    Dec 6, 2016 at 15:03
  • The wikipedia article on poker simply uses the term "player."
    – cobaltduck
    Dec 6, 2016 at 15:07
  • I am after a fancy term. I've already mentioned that player is more generic than I'm after, and I was ideally after a single word answer.
    – Puffafish
    Dec 6, 2016 at 15:08
  • 1
    I read that pugilist is A boxer, especially a professional one but rest of the question body implies a general term for poker players not just professionals. So are you looking for one specifically for professionals or one that covers everything - professionals and amateurs?
    – k1eran
    Dec 6, 2016 at 22:06
  • 1
    I'm not fussy; professionals, amatures, everything, people who are good, people who are bad at it. I was after a word that got my point across.
    – Puffafish
    Dec 7, 2016 at 12:33

3 Answers 3



Rounder is a slang term for someone who is an expert at poker and plays when they know they can win money.

This is most similar to a pugilist, because a pugilist is typically a name for a professional boxer, as a rounder is an expert poker player.

  • 1
    Well, Wikipedia is not a reliable or authoritative site. Dec 6, 2016 at 15:16
  • 3
    @AlanCarmack True, but it's getting better in reliability. From my experience with the site, false information is typically removed from the site within minutes of the false edit being made. Would this site be more reliable (considering it's a site on gambling?) [www.pokertips.org/glossary/w/ROUNDER]
    – Jared
    Dec 6, 2016 at 15:20
  • The Wikipedia "information" on, for example Romeo & Juliet, is based on books that are thirty-plus years out of date. The "information" given in its articles about the English language is, in a word, hideously unreliable and inaccurate. Anyway, yes, a link from a reputed poker site is much preferable in my book. But do as you like. Dec 6, 2016 at 15:24
  • Rounder is the sort of word I was after. I shall leave it awhile to see if any other ideas come to the surface.
    – Puffafish
    Dec 6, 2016 at 15:25
  • Is it used on both sides of the ocean? How does it compare to gambler? Dec 6, 2016 at 16:11

Card Shark

is defined at Dictionary.com as an expert card player.


Assuming here OP wants a general term for both amateurs and professionals ...

The terminology will be different for a tournament vs a cash game.

The former will have an entry fee (the "buy-in") so term like entrants or entries will apply.

Refer http://www.wsop.com/m/results/ for 2016 WSOP Main Event details:

BUY-IN: $10,000.
ENTRIES: 6,737
PRIZEPOOL: $63,340,268

For a cash game there is not a registration so usually they are just called players.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.