We can see in some words, letters are reduplicated:

Effect, apprehensive, abhorrent, blissful, affect, remiss

Sometimes these are caused by the evolution of their latin equivalents into English... However...

Is there a term for this letter reduplication in some words? Where two letters are next to each other?

  • 1
    Double letters? Why do you say reduplicated instead of duplicated? – Richard Kayser Dec 3 '16 at 18:00
  • What @Richard said. Per OED, reduplication has the special sense in linguistics: repetition of a syllable or letter that expresses a grammatical feature. I don't think that applies to all OP's examples here. – FumbleFingers Dec 3 '16 at 18:04
  • Why not? Linguists do, though not when referring to alphabetic letters. – John Lawler Dec 3 '16 at 18:04
  • @John: Would say effect is "reduplication" then? I don't know diddly squat, obviously, but I'd have thought that one was just a matter of orthography. – FumbleFingers Dec 3 '16 at 18:07

The duplication of letters is called double letters.

From Your Dictionary:

Double-letter words are words which contain at least one set of letters used twice consecutively to make a certain sound, usually used in the emphasis syllable in the word which contains them.

| improve this answer | |
  • More specifically, all OP's examples contain double consonants. – Graffito Dec 3 '16 at 23:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.