Looking for a word that describes the feeling of being told something in an overly simplified manner that feels offensive.

  • 1
    Welcome to Stack Exchange ELU! Can you update the OP with some examples of how you would like to use this word?
    – Hank
    Dec 2, 2016 at 17:24
  • Not quite the same, but a word that has gained currency of late is mansplain.
    – Hot Licks
    Dec 2, 2016 at 18:10
  • @HotLicks I think that might be a little too gender specific.
    – Hank
    Dec 2, 2016 at 18:28
  • @Hank - 'Splain it to me.
    – Hot Licks
    Dec 2, 2016 at 18:31
  • 2
    @Hank - That's why I made it a comment, and said "not quite the same". Just wanted to make readers of this thread aware of the word (in case they'd been living in a cave the past 5 years).
    – Hot Licks
    Dec 2, 2016 at 18:35

3 Answers 3



  1. to adopt an air of condescension toward : treat haughtily or coolly


to behave or treat in a condescending way


The adjective form of this would be patronising.

A professor who patronises his students would be someone who acts as if their students are very young.



con·de·scend·ing (kŏn′dĭ-sĕn′dĭng)

  1. showing or implying a usually patronizing descent from dignity or superiority:
    They resented the older neighbors' condescending cordiality.


This comes from the verb to condescend:

verb (used without object)

  1. to behave as if one is conscious of descending from a superior position, rank, or dignity.



The phrase that will work best is:

Talk down to


  • to speak in a condescending or oversimplified fashion

If you wanted to use a single word, this one may work, depending on the context:



  • to cause (a person or thing) to seem little or less; talk down
  • 1
    Hi @Hank, these are good words, but can you add a link or reference to your source?
    – Hellion
    Dec 2, 2016 at 21:50
  • I like talk down to. Dec 3, 2016 at 3:49
  • I don't have a computer at home. I'll edit it with the references :)
    – Hank
    Dec 3, 2016 at 4:07

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.