There is a word that refers to the aesthetic of a digital representation, imitation, or emulation of an analog device or its components.

Such as an analog clock displayed on a digital screen. Apple Inc. is well known for using this technique.

If I recall correctly; I believe the root of the word has a German origin.

Does anybody know the word?

  • 3
    Are you thinking of skeuomorphism? It's Greek, not German, but the meaning seems to fit. – herisson Nov 25 '16 at 9:55
  • It doesn't look familiar, but i could be mistaken. It is basically spot on by definition, i.e. ornamental design cues, and so on. You can submit it as an answer if you like, and if nobody comes up with what I am thinking of, I will credit you with a correct answer. : ) – voices Nov 25 '16 at 10:01
  • Related: english.stackexchange.com/q/310769/42179 – Řídící Nov 25 '16 at 16:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.