I'm looking for a term (or terms) to describe a person who leaves a group (or organisation), and then later re-joins.

Something like a "re-joiner" perhaps?

For example, a "leaver" is someone who leaves or has left, and an "onboarder" or "inductee" may describe a new-starter. My language is British English, but it doesn't really matter.

Example sentence as per the comments, "Mr ABC is a _____; he left in February but returned back in May". Or, the actual usage in my own field:

Person A: "Is he a new starter or a leaver?"

Person B: "No, he's a _____; he left, then came back two months later"

  • 2
    As the single-word-requests tag's description requests, please add an example sentence.
    – Irhala
    Nov 24, 2016 at 16:22
  • 4
    returnee works in many contexts. Nov 24, 2016 at 16:22
  • Example sentence added
    – EvilDr
    Nov 24, 2016 at 18:16

4 Answers 4


As suggested by @Fumblefingers, returnee may work. It certainly fits your context.


returnee: someone who returns to a place or activity

Your example:

Person A: "Is he a new starter or a leaver?"

Person B: "No, he's a returnee; he left, then came back two months later."

You could also consider comebacker (or come-backer or come backer). It might work for your purposes. I can imagine describing so and so as a comebacker.

  • That fits perfectly. A word I never knew existed. Thank you.
    – EvilDr
    Nov 25, 2016 at 9:37

That would be a


or a

readmitee on a legal context.

  • Okay thanks. What is that term when applied to the person? For example, he's a "readmittee"?
    – EvilDr
    Nov 24, 2016 at 18:19
  • 1
    I updated the answer to add readmitee as an alternative for a legal context.
    – daniloquio
    Nov 24, 2016 at 18:34
  • Nice, thank you. Are there any other alternatives that are slightly less formal? This is a good word though; I've never heard of it before...
    – EvilDr
    Nov 24, 2016 at 18:39
  • Then you are probably stuck with the down voted "prodigal son". At least on the three languages I'm very familiar with, anybody would get the idea on the fly.
    – daniloquio
    Nov 24, 2016 at 18:45


I had seen it used to describe reentering college students. But the Oxford Dictionary says

2 A person who has re-entered something, especially the labor force.


I'd probably tend to returner, but I'd also suggest that there's no one specific term to describe the situation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.