What do you call a person who works on old home movies and paper photographs? I'm not talking about someone who operates a camera. Simply just scans, edits, and creates from photographs and old video (like VHS or Super 8).

  • A Luddite, I suppose.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Nov 23, 2016 at 1:47
  • 1
    Professionally, such a person would be called an archivist, so amateur archivist, perhaps?
    – Mick
    Commented Nov 23, 2016 at 1:54
  • 1
    You can work all you want to on old home movies and photographs, that does not make you an archivist. That would mean cataloging or categorizing them in some sort of order. Also, I fail to see how working on home movies (editing them??) and photos are the same thing. Also, what do you mean by working on?? How can you scan, edit and create from old video? I guess you can PRINT IMAGES of old video.
    – Lambie
    Commented Jan 2, 2017 at 14:47
  • A photography collage maker?
    – Lambie
    Commented Jan 2, 2017 at 14:50

2 Answers 2


This person performs media conversion if they take old photos/videos and converts them to modern formats.

If they are making art or decorative objects (collages, scrapbooks, decoupage, etc.) then I don't think there's a particular name for that sub-genre.


As suggested by Mick, how about archivist?

From M-W:

archivist: a person in charge of archives

archive: a repository or collection especially of information


My sister Jean is our family archivist. She maintains all of our old home movies and paper photographs. She edits, scans, creates, and shares videos and albums in modern electronic formats.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.