When reproducing an excerpt from a text identically (and properly referenced), we are quoting it 'verbatim'. Is there an equivalent term in English that refers to reproducing an image faithfully? I would like to use a construction along the lines of: 'His reluctance to quote his own artwork [MISSING WORD]...'


In the world of photography, a piece can be retouched (M-W link), meaning "to make small changes ... in order to improve the way it looks." When all photography was done using silver-halide on gelatin, the manner of doing this was an airbrush (Wikipedia link). In digital photography we can use software to do retouching, such as the common PhotoShop.

Apparently, the term retouched can also be applied to paintings. An article describing a famous example of a botched restoration (FoxNews link) makes use of the term.

So, to describe an image which has not been altered or improved in anyway, the term is unretouched (Collins link).

In your example, and borrowing from a previous answer, I would phrase like so:

His reluctance to use unretouched copies of his own artwork...


I think the problem is the use of the word "quote" in reference to artwork (images).

You do not "quote" artwork; you "copy" it. You could maybe "reuse" it.

I suggest this construction:

"His reluctance to [copy/reuse] his own artwork..."

  • This is all correct, but it does not attempt to answer the actual original question. – cobaltduck Nov 22 '16 at 17:02
  • @cobaltduck That's true because the original question does not make sense. – Carl Roberts Nov 22 '16 at 17:47
  • Or "reproduce" though probably not in all contexts. – Chris H Nov 24 '16 at 7:34

You could use the word "precisely" in place of verbatim. Meaning exactly as the artwork was originally designed, just like verbatim would mean exactly as the words were spoken.


He is reluctant to transfer his previous [art] work unadulterated, or as is, or without variation, or without any reworking, or in its original form, or as a carbon copy.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.