In the poem "One and one" of Mary Mapes Dodge there is a line:

Two little ponies must go to a span

It seems, the "span" here is some term belonging to horses. Obviously, some place where they run or stay. But which one? I can't find it in dictionaries.

1 Answer 1


It is an old usage that refers to a pair of horses driven together:


  • (obsolete) A pair of horses or other animals driven together; usually, such a pair of horses when similar in color, form, and action.



  • "two animals driven together," 1769, American English, from Dutch span, from spannen "to stretch or yoke," from Middle Dutch spannan. Also used in South African English.


enter image description here from: (www.youtube.com)

  • As a sidenote, while span exists in Dutch with the exact same meaning, I'm more used to hearing tweespan (described here); twee is Dutch for two. I suppose tweespan is the colloquial term for this configuration (for horses, at least). Dutch also has the terms enkelspan (single span), meaning that a single horse is used, and vierspan (vier means four), which has two pairs of two horses (one in front of the other).This can be extended to larger numbers.
    – tjalling
    Nov 17, 2016 at 21:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.