This is slightly awkward to explain, so I will be as clear as possible. I am aware of what a portmanteau is, as you will see below, but I am unsure if my examples classify as such.

I'm looking to find out if there is a word similar to the term portmanteau but for when you join two words where the last syllable/sound of the first word is the same as the first syllable/sound of the second word. The spelling is often the same on the end of word one and start of word two, but not always.

Some examples of what I am trying to explain are as follows:

  • Murderotica (murder + erotica)
  • Disconnecktie (disconnect + neck tie)
  • Bayonetwork (bayonet + network)
  • Morgan Freemango (Morgan Freeman + mango)
  • Typicalculation (typical + calculation)

Are these still examples of portmanteau or something else? By the definition of portmanteau and examples I think they aren't.

A portmanteau word fuses both the sounds and the meanings of its components, as in smog, coined by blending smoke and fog, or motel, from motor and hotel. (Wikipedia)

The reason I assume my examples are not portmanteaux is that both my words remain "whole" to a certain extent and can still be made out. In a stereotypical portmanteau parts of each original word are lost.

  • 2
  • 1
    @EdwinAshworth I would agree with JOSH here as I am aware of what a portmanteau is and explain why I think my examples are different to my understanding of portmanteau. I have renamed the questions with "Is this a portmanteau?" to add clarity to this question and distinguish it from the question linked
    – TomKDev
    Nov 16, 2016 at 14:36
  • 1
    Taking the idea of overlapping words, perhaps you could extrapolate from the language around Venn diagrams. After all, what you essentially have is two sets of letters with a subset of letters that are common to both. Perhaps intersecting words would do. Or as Venn called his diagrams "Eulerian Circles" after Euler, perhaps these can be Eulerian words, or Venn words, Set-words?
    – Spagirl
    Nov 16, 2016 at 14:38
  • 4
    @spagirl I have the PERFECT term for this... Venn Diagrammar!!
    – TomKDev
    Nov 16, 2016 at 14:50
  • 1
    round of applause :)
    – Spagirl
    Nov 16, 2016 at 14:59

1 Answer 1


An "overlapping blend" is the most specific term I can find for this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.