The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has a national parliament with an internationally used metonym Westminster after the City of Westminster, London, where the parliament is located (or perhaps after the Palace of Westminster, which is in turn named after the City of Westminster).

The devolved parliament for Scotland is often referred to as Holyrood after the Edinburgh area of Holyrood (Brexit talks divide opinion between Holyrood and Westminster)

The Northern Ireland assembly is often called Stormont after the Stormont estate (Stormont failure over gay pardons 'a disgrace').

The National Assembly for Wales is located in a building called the Senedd in Cardiff. I'm not sure what the neighbourhood of Cardiff is called.

The word senedd is simply Welsh for senate and therefore not a metonym. Is the word Senedd word used for the National Assembly for Wales? Is there any metonym in use? If so, which one?

Searching far senedd at site:news.bbc.co.uk yields very few results, and a large fraction are about the senedd building rather than about the assembly as an institution.

  • 1
    politicsmadepublic.com/… uses Cardiff Bay (the area of Cardiff that the Senedd is located) in a similar manner to Stormont and Holyrood. As does this Guardian article: theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/may/09/…
    – JonLarby
    Nov 15 '16 at 14:52
  • 1
    The Welsh sided with the English when they voted against independence, and again when they voted to leave the EU, so in practice journalists don't have many reasons to report on what the National Assembly for Wales does (or wants to do). This is completely different to Holyrood, which is in constant conflict with Westminster, and Stormont (which many English would be glad to hand over to Eire, and wash their hands of the whole sorry mess). Nov 15 '16 at 15:03
  • 1
    @FumbleFingers Off-topic question: What vote are you referring to with The Welsh voted against independence?
    – gerrit
    Nov 15 '16 at 15:10
  • 1
    @gerrit: It's not entirely off topic, since the fact that collectively the Welsh didn't and don't seek independence means there's not much reason to refer to their Assembly as a (political) "agent". That Assembly does have powers (though less than Holyrood), but it doesn't really act as a coherent entity anyway, so from the media's perspective it doesn't particularly merit its own epithet (yet, at least! :) Nov 15 '16 at 15:37
  • 1
    No, no. I know the city and the locale. I have neither read nor heard any one refer to the Assembly building as Cardiff Bay in the way that the Houses of Parliament in London have been dubbed Westminster (the building itself is the Palace of Westminster though this nomenclature is seldom used in the popular media or in speech). The forerunner of Cardiff Bay (parts thereof) was Tiger Bay, the Cardiff docklands that had a certain reputation and gave us the movie Tiger Bay, Joe Erskine (boxer) and the wonderful singer-entertainer, Dame Shirley Bassey. Nov 16 '16 at 4:02

I don't think there is a commonly used one of the same sort, no. Cardiff would probably be used if need be. It wouldn't quite fit the same pattern, since it is the whole city - the Senedd is right on Cardiff Bay, so that might work but I'm not sure I've seen that in the wild. There's no need for it to fit the same pattern of course: for most places in the world we refer to the city itself rather than an estate or neighbourhood.

There's also the fact that for cultural, historical and legal reasons the Senedd is less of a focus in Wales than the Scottish or Northern Irish parliaments are in their countries. That is also why it is called an assembly and not a parliament, and that might be why it doesn't come up as often enough for such a metonym to have taken hold.

  • I have a suggestion: Paper Tiger Bay Jun 13 '17 at 0:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.