What's the term to name the study (or science) of weapons, arms, and guns?

I've come accross Ballistics, but it's limited and more mechanical term.

And Military Science might be broader term.

Weaponology is a great word, but is too neologistic and sounds funny.

I'm looking for both historical and modern terms.

Weaponry might be the best choice for the that, though the term has plural connotation and indicates more the design and production rather than the study.

closed as off-topic by user66974, jimm101, user140086, curiousdannii, Mitch Nov 9 '16 at 16:09

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave these specific reasons:

  • "Please include the research you've done, or consider if your question suits our English Language Learners site better. Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic." – curiousdannii, Mitch
  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – jimm101, Community
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • There is bound to be a term for this that is used in military schools. You could try reviewing a few military school curricula, or perhaps find a discussion board somewhere for military stuff. (There doesn't appear to be such a board associated with SE.) – Hot Licks Nov 9 '16 at 22:39

hoplology is the study of weapons.

"hoplology" - the study of weapons or armour. TFD

"hoplology" - The study of the methods, behaviour, and technology involved in human combat, particularly weapons and armour. Wiktionary

  • 2
    Thanks, but again, according to Wikipedia, Hoplology is a science that studies human combative behavior and performance. I think it'd be a bit more broader term with the stress on fighting with weapons. – user93678 Nov 9 '16 at 12:55

Ballistics-the science of projectiles and firearms.


the scientific study of the effects of being fired on a bullet, cartridge, or gun.