I'm looking for words that can replace "said" when a person is annoyed.

Say someone was trying to write, for example:

He waved his hand in front of their face, startling them. "Hello-o-o," he said. "I'm right here."

Something is needed to replace said to show the boy is exasperated.

closed as off-topic by user140086, Kevin Workman, curiousdannii, AndyT, Hellion Nov 8 '16 at 16:57

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Welcome to ELU. This is more of a writing advice kind of question, I believe. – Kris Nov 8 '16 at 9:19
  • Generally, we use an alternative that is descriptive of the way it's said, like barked at, roared, howled, so on. – Kris Nov 8 '16 at 9:21
  • What's wrong with saying "... he said (,) annoyed / exasperated..."? – user140086 Nov 8 '16 at 10:22
  • 'I'm fed up with this!' he snapped – BoldBen Nov 8 '16 at 11:51
  • There are a lot of possible words. Which one you use depends to a large extent on the particular attitude and emotion displayed by the boy. At one extreme thundered or roared might do the trick. At another it could be pleaded, or whispered. – WS2 Nov 8 '16 at 12:50

I think you're looking for a thesaurus: Oxford Dictionaries Thesaurus You wont find anything useful if you just type in "said", but you can try several different things like "yelled", "shouted", or "exclaimed". You're looking for a synonym that matches the emotional level of annoyance.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.