I have seen the example of the blue symbol in the picture in some advertisements. This symbol is used to add an extra word in the middle of a sentence. However, I have searched a lot, but I was not able to find the name of this symbol in English.

The picture


2 Answers 2


The inverted caret symbol is sometimes named as caron, though this is in the context of a diacritic mark rather than a proof reading mark.


That is intended to mimic a proofreader's mark. According to Wikipedia this particular mark is a caret.

  • Is a caret not pointing upwards? Wikipedia only says Caret|^/ v|Insert, using a the letter V as a downwards arrow. Commented Nov 7, 2016 at 21:40
  • A caret indicates where something should be inserted. Traditionally, it points upwards, but an inverted version (pointing downward) is also used.
    – kindall
    Commented Nov 7, 2016 at 21:42
  • 1
    Could you add that, as well as a reference from a site that's not Wikipedia, to your question? Commented Nov 7, 2016 at 21:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.