I'm looking for a word the describes the concluding text of a document, i.e. the opposite of the document's preamble. Is it just "conclusion"?

  • 2
    A thesaurus gives addendum, epilogue, postscript.
    – Mitch
    Commented Jul 26, 2011 at 15:43
  • "ending" was also a good choice.
    – ceztko
    Commented Feb 13, 2020 at 20:37

1 Answer 1


Conclusion, afterword, and epilogue all seem to fit the bill.

There's also postamble, but I believe that's more of a computer science term for data transactions.

  • +1 for afterword, which I think most accurately signifies a final section contrasted to a preamble before the main body of text. Conclusion suggests the other side of introduction, and epilogue seems much the same to me. +1 more if I could for pointing out postamble is really just an IT term. Commented Jul 26, 2011 at 16:05
  • 2
    Your other suggestions definitely fit better in a non-IT situation, but as it stands, I'm asking out of curiosity stemming from an IT situation. Ultimately, I think I'm going to go with "postamble". Thanks. Commented Jul 26, 2011 at 16:50
  • 13
    Clearly, the proper pairings are prologue/epilogue, introduction/conclusion, foreword/afterword, preamble/postamble, prelude/postlude, and overture/coda. Commented Jul 26, 2011 at 18:21
  • 2
    Sadly, "postamble" does not seem to be in any dictionary I looked at, nor does it seem to be used by ... anyone. And it seems like such a good word, too.
    – Jay
    Commented Oct 31, 2011 at 14:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.