In the context of a sports or arts academy, lots of students are children or teens, so they need a responsible older person who can be reached in an emergency. It could be the student's parent, aunt, uncle, cousin, neighbor, or another person responsible for that student, family or not.

In Spanish, that word is "acudiente": someone to reach out to ("acudir"). What would be the correct word in English? I can't find a correct translation.

I'm trying to find a single word. If there's not a single one, I could go with emergency contact.

  • 2
    I'm not a native speaker, so wait for others to reply. I think, this can be as simple as "emergency contact". – tum_ Nov 3 '16 at 6:35
  • @A.Toumantsev You should expand on that and make it an answer. School forms in the US typically use simply "Emergency Contact" or "Parent or Legal Guardian > Contact Information." – pyobum Nov 3 '16 at 7:29
  • 1
    @A.Toumantsev Nothing much different in UK "Emergency contact", or "Person to be contacted in emergency". – WS2 Nov 3 '16 at 9:06
  • 1
    Increasing numbers of places are using ICE (including the parkrun organisation): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Case_of_Emergency – JonLarby Nov 3 '16 at 9:18

A quick Google search for "acudiente en ingles" shows that the question is fairly popular. Most of the answers suggest something like "parent or legal guardian". However, this suggestion is not perfect as the person does not necessarily have to be a 'legal guardian' or even a relative, this can well be a family friend or somesuch. In the context of filling in a form (in an academy, school, etc.) the term that seems to be used most often is simply "Emergency Contact".

See also the comments from other participants for alternative variants.

  • Emergency Contact is good. – Mick Nov 3 '16 at 13:38
  • On mobile phones, ICE is commonly used. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Nov 3 '16 at 18:47
  • 1
    Of course, on mbl phns, brvty s a vrtu. – Scott Nov 7 '16 at 1:14
  • :) I, for one, never heard of ICE until now... – tum_ Nov 7 '16 at 7:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.