Situation: After the funeral the relatives usually give away personal things and belongings of a buried person to his/her relatives, friends, acquaintances and etc.

How would you call these thing(s)? As far as I know, there should be a separate word for it/them.

Lots of thanks in advance.

  • 4
    Of course they are part of the estate but more directly they're mementos – Jim Mack Oct 31 '16 at 12:26
  • Maybe "belongings of the deceased" – SovereignSun Oct 31 '16 at 12:30
  • @JimMack thank you!! That (mementos) is exaclty what I have been looking for. – Natalie Oct 31 '16 at 12:33
  • "Keepsake" is another term. (Though of course to many people they are a "burden".) – Hot Licks Oct 31 '16 at 12:42
  • 1
    If such things are distributed according to the deceased's Will they are called bequests when the items are identified in the Will and left to named beneficiaries under the Will. Anyone who has the power to distribute items upon a discretionary basis (not including a discretionary trust) would be handing on mementos and the like. Real property, significant chattels and monies are more formerly transferred to the beneficiaries/legatees under the Will as bequests/legacies. – Peter Point Oct 31 '16 at 13:17

There is no specific single-word for those belongings. As mentioned in a comment, they are part of the estate - the things left by someone who has died.

You might say that some of the "personal belongings of the deceased" were given away.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.