I need to anchor a very formal event. However, I am having trouble with using different phrases in my speech. For example, when I want to call upon someone to deliver a presentation/ speech, I am at a loss of words. Can someone please help me find phrases similar to

"I now request Mr XYZ to deliver the welcome address."

closed as too broad by Hot Licks, user140086, tchrist Oct 30 '16 at 15:15

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Your question reads either too broad or primarily opinion-based. What research have you done? – user140086 Oct 30 '16 at 13:30
  • I looked at synonyms of "request" and "deliver speech"...but none really suited the event. I need phrases saying "request to deliver the speech' in different ways. – Eliza Oct 30 '16 at 14:37
  • This is simply too broad. Is the person forewarned? How formal is the meeting? How formal (long-winded) is the norm for introductions? There are many variations that might (or might not) be appropriate. – Hot Licks Oct 30 '16 at 14:49
  • Note that for a great many and possibly most native speakers in North America, your sentence is not grammatical, because in these speakers request does ɴᴏᴛ behave exactly as ask behaves. These are all allowed: “I ask Mr X to speak. I ask that Mr X speak. I request that Mr X speak.” What you can’t do with request for us is request someone ᴛᴏ do something; it cannot take an infinitive the way ask can. – tchrist Oct 30 '16 at 15:10

The best I remember is to introduce the person to the audience and welcome him to give a speech.

  • Please join me in welcoming Mr.Andrew Simons, head of department.

  • Let me now introduce Mr.Andrew Simons, head of department.

Perhaps this will help a little:

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.