In Russian animals that died of a disease can be translated as fallen animals e.g. fallen sheep.

Is there a similar term in English?

  • Nothing is coming to mind.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Oct 29, 2016 at 1:25
  • Thanks, I also could not think of anything. The closest term was animals that died of a disease. Commented Oct 29, 2016 at 1:28
  • There are terms like mortality and morbidity, but they describe the state, vs being an adjective on the animal. I gather you want something that could be used like "dead-from-disease sheep", but again nothing comes to mind.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Oct 29, 2016 at 1:32
  • Yep, dead-from-disease-sheep. Someone suggested carrion which is a carcass of an animal that died of either a disease or natural causes but I think it's usually in reference to wild or stray animals rather than domesticated kinds. Commented Oct 29, 2016 at 1:39
  • 'Diseased sheep' refers to sheep that are still alive; I don't think there's a simple term for 'sheep that died because they were diseased'.
    – John Feltz
    Commented Oct 29, 2016 at 1:47

1 Answer 1


The term for farm animals that have died of a disease is, in fact, fallen stock:-

Animals that have died on the farm. These need to be removed as on-farm burial is prohibited

So you would have fallen sheep, fallen cows, fallen chickens (for all I know). A guide as to what to do with them can be found here.

  • This seems somewhat orthogonal to what's being asked here. At least according to that definition, an animal who died in a fight on the farm would be considered fallen, whereas a wild animal that dies of a disease in the woods would not. It also sounds rather jargony and technical—I would assume, not knowing of this specific meaning, that a fallen animal was one that had died in battle (mostly, I suppose, applicable to horses in the old days and more generally in Narnia and such places). Commented Oct 29, 2016 at 9:09
  • It may be jargon, but it's definitely the official term
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented Oct 29, 2016 at 9:28
  • I think it's used mainly in the UK and maybe it's time other English speaking countries adopted it too :) Commented Oct 30, 2016 at 0:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.