What is the word to describe that something is overly-hyped?

I mean something like buzzword or buzzphrase but of course those are not adjectives.

  • 2
    "Overhyped" is a valid word. thefreedictionary.com/overhyped
    – Urbycoz
    Jul 25, 2011 at 9:54
  • 1
    Doesn't hyped already include the excess you want to convey?
    – GEdgar
    Jul 25, 2011 at 14:48
  • its not accurate enough. i was wondering if anyone had any other alternative words
    – Pacerier
    Jul 25, 2011 at 16:14

3 Answers 3


Well, overhyped would work, but chiefly for something that is actually being (actively) hyped.

Overused or overexposed are good for something that has just been used so much it has lost all of its punch.

Beyond those two, there is cliched.

  • Wouldn't that be clichéd? Jul 25, 2011 at 15:54
  • not exactly what i was looking for.. but o well
    – Pacerier
    Jul 25, 2011 at 16:15
  • 1
    @configurator - Probably. My USA keyboard doesn't have that special accented é key though, and I didn't really feel like figuring out how to produce it (or more likely, finding it in another word online and copy-and-pasting it, like I did here). Anyway, since our USA keyboards don't have that key, its perfectly acceptable to just use an e there.
    – T.E.D.
    Jul 25, 2011 at 17:43

At the risk of sounding a bit too obvious, I would be OK with the verb 'overhype', which I think is pretty standard in contemporary English and which Wiktionary, at least, lists as a word. You could therefore describe something as 'overhyped'.


It sounds like a fad.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.