What do I call a place where paper is unloaded by workers from trucks, in two words or less? Is there is a simple formula for making such nouns?

closed as off-topic by Edwin Ashworth, user66974, Scott, curiousdannii, user140086 Oct 25 '16 at 6:18

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – curiousdannii, Community
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Usually, this is done in a loading bay. – Mick Oct 24 '16 at 20:34
  • 'Is there is a simple formula for making such nouns?' Attributive noun + head noun strings are common, often forming compounds, but the role of the attributive noun varies widely. Thus coffee cake and coffee morning; sunroof and sunscreen. The rules are: check in a dictionary to see (a) if they exist; (b) what they mean. Coming up with a new candidate usage is highly likely to cause confusion. – Edwin Ashworth Oct 24 '16 at 21:11

Loading bay, loading dock, loading zone and loading platform are all names for the place where goods are loaded and unloaded. In all cases you can use unloading instead of loading, which will give some the impression that the place is only used for unloading, whereas loading won't necessarily give this impression (this is because loading is the unmarked term here).

Loading bay can be shortened to bay without issue. Loading dock can be shortened to dock, but to the best of my knowledge that can only refer to such structures used for loading and unloading from ships. Loading zone and loading platform can't be shortened without losing this specific meaning.

Now, if you really want a two-letter word specifically for paper, perhaps paper bay or paper platform is the best option, but I'd definitely use the full term before using the shorter form.

  • dock : "a platform for loading or unloading trucks or freight trains." See also, dock plate; used for "bridging the gap between a truck and the dock or warehouse floor" - AKA, Shipping and Receiving – Mazura Oct 24 '16 at 23:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.