Two words with a new combined meaning can be more descriptive than a single word.

These words can be joined using one of the following

  • hyphen e.g pseudo-intellectual, double-barrel
  • space
  • no separator (i.e. conjoined)

What are such words called ?

closed as unclear what you're asking by anongoodnurse, WS2, jimm101, Chenmunka, Mitch Oct 21 '16 at 16:49

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Why do you not hyphenate double-barrel, or as I would have said double-barrelled? Surely that is an example of a double-barrelled adjective, isn't it? But I am unclear as to your question. – WS2 Oct 20 '16 at 23:35
  • you are correct it needed a hyphen – dfmetro Oct 20 '16 at 23:38
  • @devc2 I've reworked you question a bit to hopefully make it clearer so it might be reopened. If my edit contradicts you intentions, please revert my changes. – k1eran Oct 21 '16 at 20:08

Compound adjectives

Compound adjectives most commonly end in an adjective (e.g. homesick), or in an -ing or -ed adjective form (e.g. ground-breaking, short-sighted).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.