Is there a word to describe people of a country who tend to embrace division and sectarian and ethnic profiling rather than fighting it? I need a word to describe the people of a country who wouldn't put an effort to fight or fix the issues that have been splitting them.

  • I need it for a research paper. It is mentioned in an article written in Afrikaans..
    – user186499
    Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 16:39
  • 2
    Look up the noun form of 'sectarian'.
    – John Feltz
    Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 16:48
  • So, you're looking for a word halfway in between status quo and isolationist, which also encompasses the phrase IDGAF ? American ? ;p
    – Mazura
    Commented Oct 20, 2016 at 22:12
  • no actually.. but you mentioned in your comment "isolationist" which is derived from isolation, i wonder if there is a similar word derived from "division"
    – user186499
    Commented Oct 21, 2016 at 19:30

2 Answers 2


Segregated comes to mind.

Separate or divide along racial, sexual, or religious lines.
‘blacks were segregated in churches, schools, and colleges’



MW has this definition of race-baiting. Race-baiter is the noun. Simple Definition of race–baiting : the unfair use of statements about race to try to influence the actions or attitudes of a particular group of people

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.